Blocking anonymous editors
Recently, several editors have asked me to not allow anonymous people to edit on this wiki (those that have not made wiki accounts and only edit with their IP address). I do not think that would be a good idea. Let me explain...
- Blocking anons from editing hurts the wiki's growth. Many people view (and even edit) on the wiki before making an account. If we discourage people from editing, they are less likely to join. We need to be open to everybody which will help the community here as well.
- Not all anonymous contributions are spam. Many helpful edits are made by people who are new and haven't made an account yet or by people who are only making one edit and therefore do not take the time to make an account.
- Individual IP addresses can be blocked. If a single person is obviously vandalizing the wiki, that person can be blocked from editing. There is no need to block everyone for one person's edits.
- Specific pages can be protected. If a page is a target of abuse, usually the most relevant page, I can change the setting so only those with accounts or admins can edit there.
- It is difficult to block all anonymous editors anyway. I do not have the power to globally block anons. I would have to submit a request to Wikia and show that there is a very strong problem on the Ariana Grande Wiki of anonymous vandalism. They do not grant these requests often and it would be difficult to prove our case because we do not have extreme vandalism here.
Anyway, I hope you all can see where I'm coming from. Please reply to this thread and share your thoughts.