Within the song's main themes, the anxiety relief, self-improvement and resilience prove to be the most prominent.
On June 17, 2018 Grande answered to a fan on Twitter that the song is about an anxiety attack she felt.
Grande spoke about this track on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, stating that she was anxious while recording it and experiencing anxiety attacks. She had to leave the booth to get some air and quiet time.
On August 24, 2018, the audio of "breathin" was uploaded on Grande's YouTube account.
"Breathin" is one of Ariana Grande's most successful non-singles. When Sweetener came out, the song debuted at No. 4 on the Worldwide iTunes songs chart and peaked at No. 1 on the US iTunes singles chart.
The song debuted at No. 22 on the Billboard Hot 100 and at No. 8 on the ARIA and UK Singles charts, being Grande's first non-single track to reach the Top 10 in the UK and her eighth song overall.
"Breathin" also had the 4th biggest debut day by a female artist on Spotify after debuting at No. 3 with 4,082,390 streams on Worldwide Spotify and debuted at No. 4 on Spotify's US Top 50 chart.
Grande debuted "Breathin" live on August 20, 2018 at The Sweetener Sessions.
- If you listen to the intro of song in reverse you can hear a voice saying: "Tonight is your special night, do something magical".
That the end will no doubt justify the means You could fix any problem at the slightest ease Yes, please Well you might find out it'll go to your head When you write a report on a book you never read With the snap of your fingers you can make your bed That's what I said Everything is not what it seems When you can get all you wanted in your wildest dreams You might run into trouble if you go to extremes Because everything is not what it seems Everything is not what it seems When you can have what you want by the simplest of means Be careful not to mess with the balance of thingsBecause everything is not what it seems
- ↑ Ariana Grande 'Sweetener' Review: One Of 2018's Best Pop Albums
- ↑ Twitter - Ariana about "Breathin"
- ↑ YouTube - Ariana Grande Predicted She Would Marry Pete Davidson Three Years Ago
- ↑ Twitter - Joan Grande about "breathin" being #1 on US iTunes
- ↑ Official Charts Company - breathin
- ↑ Ariana Grande’s “Breathin,” “GIAW,” “Everytime,” “Sweetener” Make Top 10 On Daily US Spotify Chart
- ↑ Ariana Grande's 'Sweetener' Breaks Global Spotify Weekly Record For A Female Artist
|August 17, 2018 • 47:25 • Republic Records|
|Released||Better Off • Blazed • Borderline • Breathin • Everytime • Get Well Soon • God Is A Woman • Goodnight N Go • No Tears Left To Cry • Pete Davidson • Raindrops (An Angel Cried) • R.E.M • Successful • Sweetener • The Light Is Coming|
|Unreleased||My Way • Got Her Own • Sober • You|
|Ariana Grande • Missy Elliott • Nicki Minaj • Pharrell Williams|
|Sweetener World Tour • The Sweetener Sessions|