Dangerous Woman (originally titled Moonlight) is Ariana Grande's third studio album. It was released through Republic Records on May 20, 2016. The album was recorded between August 2014 and January 2016.
The album debuted at No. 2 on the US Billboard 200, earning 175,000 album-equivalent units in its first week, with 129,000 coming from pure sales. It was her first album to not hit number-one in the country. However, it became her first number one album in the UK. It also hit number-one in Australia, Brazil, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Spain and Taiwan, while also entering the top ten in almost every territory it charted in. On October 28, 2016, Dangerous Woman was certified Platinum by the RIAA for combined album sales, on-demand audio, video streams and track-sale equivalent of 1 million units. As of January 2017, the album has sold over 322,000 pure copies in the US.
- 1 Background
- 2 Singles
- 3 Tour
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery ( Ariana grandes studio ) and her singing on the speaker.
- 6 Track listing
- 7 References
Early recording as Moonlight
Following the release of Grande's sophomore studio album My Everything on August 25, 2014, which met with positive reviews, Grande confirmed she began working and writing on the album in a live stream in October 2014. Recording sessions began in August 2014. She said that she wanted to release it in late summer or early fall 2015, following suit to her previous albums. She also said that she had played some new material for her grandmother earlier that day. Grande continued to record through the rest of the year and into early 2015. In February 2015, Grande began The Honeymoon Tour. She would find time in between tour dates to record the album. In April, Grande heavily worked with her friends and songwriters Tommy Brown and Victoria Monét. On the 8th Grande tweeted that she had made a "really cool song". Grande tweeted about the song a few days later and said it was very lovely and special. Tommy posted about the song on Instagram and said he wished he could tell fans the name of the song. Grande soon began hinting at the title by posting photos of crescent moons online. On May 29, 2015, Grande stated that the special song she was hinting at would be called "Moonlight" and the album would have the same name. Grande spoke about the album in June 2015, stating that the title track was inspired by "this boy" (Ricky Alvarez) she had been dating. She said, "It's about this very cute night we had together. I have a playlist of 12 songs already. I plan on writing a lot more as soon as I get home. It's the most personal music I’ve ever written." Victoria confirmed on Twitter that "Moonlight" would not be about Big Sean. Some fans don't believe that and were asking Grande on Twitter. Grande replied on VEVO's Twitter, "HAHAHA. y'all already know. and I love you lmao. a night under the blood moon! that's all." On October 25, 2015, Grande posted a snippet of the song "Got Her Own" on Snapchat.
"Focus" was confirmed as the lead single in August 2015 under the name "Focus On Me" at the iHeartRadio Music Summit. It was released on October 30, 2015, along with its music video. The song debuted at No. 7 in the United States but slid down the chart in the following weeks. "Focus" received mixed to negative reviews from critics and generally underperformed. After the song died down, Grande returned to recording the album. Grande was in the studio again on November 17, 2015. On January 6, 2016, Grande posted on Snapchat that she was recording in her studio. She also posted a picture of the recording booth that showed the corner of her song board. It confirmed three songs, "Be Alright", "Moonlight" and "Let Me Love You". On January 21, 2016, Grande confirmed on Snapchat that she was done with album #3.
Renaming and website launch
On January 11, 2016, Grande removed "moonlight" from her Twitter bio which made fans suspicious. She responded by saying "you'll see" and then revealed she was debating to rename the album over a new song she had recorded. On January 14, Grande appeared on Jimmy Kimmel and confirmed that she was still deciding to change it. On January 21, 2016, Grande posted a picture on Instagram that said "dw" hinted to fans at the possible new title. On January 31, 2016, Grande posted a photo on Instagram of her shirt covered up saying, "I can't tell you what this shirt says yet." On February 3, 2016, Grande performed new music at the iHeartRadio Summit (although it's closed to the public and only a few pictures were released). Grande was seen playing the guitar and using a vocoder, which are both new for her. The shirt she wore (which was the shirt previously mentioned) could only be partially seen although fans concluded it said, "Dangerous Woman" which they presumed could be the new title. On February 22, 2016, Grande confirmed the name of the album to be "Dangerous Woman" on Snapchat. On February 24, 2016, Grande launched a new website (dangerouswoman.com) to dedicate to album updates. The next day she revealed via the website that she would be performing "Dangerous Woman" and "Be Alright" on Saturday Night Live on March 12, 2016. On February 29, 2016, Grande held a live stream in which she confirmed that there would be 15 tracks on the US edition of the album, with more on special editions. In addition, she revealed that there would be 3 features (later it was changed to 4).
On March 1, 2016, the title track, "Dangerous Woman", was confirmed to be the next single. Grande later launched a countdown (ending on March 11) for the album pre-order as well as the release of the single "Dangerous Woman". On March 10, Grande revealed the album artwork. On March 11, 2016, "Dangerous Woman" was released and the album became available for pre-order, which revealed part of the tracklist for the Standard, Deluxe/North American, and Japanese editions. However, only the Japanese edition included "Focus", confirming that it has been cut from all other editions, with the album's title track replacing it as the lead single.
Confirmed during an interview with Ryan Seacrest, "Be Alright" would be available on March 18, 2016, on which it was released as the first promotional single from the album. In another radio interview, she announced a new song titled "Leave Me Lonely". This track will feature Macy Gray. With the announcement of this song, she said the total number of collaborations on the album are four. On March 18, 2016, Grande revealed on 102.7 KIIS-FM that Nicki Minaj and Future will serve as features on her new album. All four collaborators' names have now been released. The same day, Grande hosted a live stream on Twitter for which she shared the first minute of the song, "Let Me Love You".
Other important dates
- On July 28, 2015, Grande tweeted that she was working on something exciting for her fans.
- On June 29, 2015, Grande tweeted that she worked on something special for her fans that night.
- On November 25, 2015, Charlie Puth revealed that he was writing songs for Grande.
- However, the album doesn't contain any songs in which he is credited as a writer but he can be heard beatboxing during the beginning and throughout the whole track of "Dangerous Woman" .
- On March 11, 2016, Grande went on SNL to host and perform two new songs from her album Dangerous Woman, "Dangerous Woman" and "Be Alright" were performed.
- On January 21, 2016, "Touch It" was recorded.
- On April 4, 2016, "Moonlight", "Into You" and "Side To Side" were recorded.
The lead single, "Dangerous Woman", was released on March 11, 2016.
The second single, "Into You", was released on May 6, 2016.
The first promotional single, "Be Alright", was released on March 18, 2016.
The third promotional single, "Jason's Song (Gave It Away)", was released on September 16, 2016.
Grande announced in May 2016 that she would be going on tour to support Dangerous Woman at the end of the year or the start of next year. On September 9, 2017, Grande announced the North American dates of the tour. The North American leg took place from February to April 2017. On October 20, 2016, Grande announced the European dates of the tour. The European leg took place in May and June 2017.
In April 2017, Grande announced tour dates in Latin America for June and July 2017; in Asia for August and September 2017, including a performance in Singapore as part of the F1 Grand Prix; and in Oceania for September 2017.
- Grande said that she loved this album more than Yours Truly and My Everything.
- It was Grande's first album cover where her eyes are open.
- Grande co-wrote 7 out of the 11 tracks on the standard edition of Dangerous Woman. She also co-wrote 2 out of the 4 bonus tracks on the deluxe edition, and 2 out of the 3 bonus tracks on the Japanese edition.
- The first song recorded was "Let Me Love You" and the last was "I Don't Care".
- The album topped the iTunes charts in over 72 countries.
- It was her first album to have a Parental Advisory warning label.
- Macy Gray is the only featured artist who isn't a rapper.
- The album was nominated at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards for "Best Pop Vocal Album" and its title track for "Best Pop Solo Performance".
- In February 2017, Dangerous Woman became Grande's second album to reach 1 billion streams on Spotify after My Everything.
- The album cover was inspired by Gloria Steinem going undercover at the Playboy mansion.[source?]
- On June 12, 2018, Grande said that her top 5 songs from Dangerous Woman were "Be Alright", "Dangerous Woman", "Let Me Love You", "Side To Side" and "Knew Better / Forever Boy".
- This is Grande's only album to not debut at or hit #1 on the US Billboard 200.
- With a length of 39:10 minutes of the standard edition Dangerous Woman marks Grande's shortest album.
- Some songs that were scrapped from Dangerous Woman are: Knew Better Part 2, Leave Me Lonely (Reprise), It Ain't right, Lavender Envelopes, I've Heard It Both ways, Baby Loves, Be Alright ft. Migos, and This One's For You.
- This is Grande’s third album to reach 4 billion streams on Spotify.
Gallery ( Ariana grandes studio ) and her singing on the speaker.
Photoshoot / Promotional. Of the spring bunny
|1.||"Moonlight"||Tommy Brown, Victoria McCants, Peter Lee Johnson, Ariana Grande||TB Hits||3:22|
|2.||"Dangerous Woman"||Johan Carlsson, Ross Golan, Max Martin||Martin, Carlsson||3:55|
|3.||"Be Alright"||Grande, Brown, McCants, Khaled Rohaim, Nicholas Audino, Lewis Hughes, Willie Tafa||Twice as Nice, TB Hits||2:59|
|4.||"Into You"||Grande, Martin, Savan Kotecha, Alexander Kronlund, Ilya Salmanzadeh||Martin, Ilya||4:04|
|5.||"Side To Side" (featuring Nicki Minaj)||Salmanzadeh, Martin, Onika Maraj, Kronlund, Kotecha, Grande||Martin, Ilya||3:46|
|6.||"Let Me Love You" (featuring Lil Wayne)||Brown, McCants, Steven Franks, Dwayne Carter, Grande||TB Hits, Mr. Franks||3:43|
|7.||"Greedy"||Martin, Kotecha, Kronlund, Salmanzadeh||Martin, Ilya||3:34|
|8.||"Leave Me Lonely" (featuring Macy Gray)||Brown, Franks, Thomas Parker Lumpkins, McCants||TB Hits, Mr. Franks||3:49|
|9.||"Everyday" (featuring Future)||Kotecha, Salmanzadeh, Grande, Nayvadius Wilburn||Ilya||3:14|
|10.||"Bad Decisions"||Martin, Kotecha, Salmanzadeh, Grande||Martin, Ilya||3:46|
|11.||"Thinking Bout You"||Peter Svensson, Chloe Angelides, Jacob Kasher Hindlin & Mathieu Jomphe Lépine||Svensson, Billboard||3:20|
|Deluxe and North American Edition|
|10.||"Sometimes"||Martin, Kotecha, Salmanzadeh, Peter Svensson||Martin, Ilya||3:46|
|11.||"I Don't Care"||Brown, Travis Sayles, Franks, Ryan Tedder, Michael Foster, McCants, Grande||TB Hits, Mr. Franks, Travesty||2:58|
|12.||"Bad Decisions"||Martin, Kotecha, Salmanzadeh, Grande||Martin, Ilya||3:46|
|13.||"Touch It"||Martin, Kotecha, Svensson, Ali Payami||Martin, Payami||4:20|
|14.||"Knew Better / Forever Boy"||Brown, Franks, McCants, Foster, Tedder, Grande||TB Hits, Mr. Franks, Tedder||4:59|
|15.||"Thinking Bout You"||Peter Svensson, Chloe Angelides, Jacob Kasher Hindlin & Mathieu Jomphe Lépine||Svensson, Billboard||3:20|
|Japanese Edition (bonus track)|
|16.||"Focus"||Grande, Kotecha, Svensson, Salmanzadeh||Salmanzadeh, Martin||3:31|
|Target Exclusive Edition (bonus tracks)|
|16.||"Step On Up"||Brown, McCants, Audino, Shane Stevens, Ryan Vojtesak, Hughes, Jamil Chammas||Vojtesak, Twice as Nice, Brown||3:01|
|17.||"Jason's Song (Gave It Away)"||Grande, Jason Robert Brown||Jason Robert Brown, Jeffrey Lesser||4:25|
|Japanese Special Price Edition (bonus track)|
|18.||"Focus"||Grande, Kotecha, Svensson, Salmanzadeh||Salmanzadeh, Martin||3:31|
|Japanese Deluxe Edition (Bonus DVD)|
|1.||"Dangerous Woman" (Visual 1)||Carlsson, Golan, Martin||Martin, Carlsson||3:56|
|2.||"Dangerous Woman" (A Capella)||Carlsson, Golan, Martin||3:58|
|3.||"Focus" (Music Video)||Grande, Kotecha, Svensson, Ilya||Ilya, Max Martin||3:45|
|4.||"Focus" (Lyric Video)||Grande, Kotecha, Svensson, Ilya||Ilya, Max Martin||3:35|
|Japanese Christmas Edition (Bonus Disc)|
|1.||"Intro"||Grande, McCants, Brown, Sayles, Franks, Foster, Tedder||Franks, Sayles, Brown||1:05|
|2.||"Wit It This Christmas"||Grande, McCants, Brown, Sayles, Foster, Tedder, Johnson||Franks, Sayles, Brown||2:41|
|3.||"December"||Grande, McCants, Brown, Sayles, Franks, Foster, Tedder||Franks, Sayles, Brown||1:56|
|4.||"Not Just On Christmas"||Grande, McCants, Brown, Sayles, Franks, Johnson||Sayles, Brown||2:02|
|5.||"True Love"||Grande, McCants, Brown, Sayles, Franks, Foster, Tedder, Johnson||Franks, Sayles, Brown||2:46|
|6.||"Winter Things"||Grande, McCants, Brown, Sayles, Franks, Johnson||Sayles, Brown||2:38|
|7.||"Into You" (featuring Mac Miller) (Alex Ghenea Remix)||Grande, Martin, Kotecha, Kronlund, Ilya||Ilya, Martin, Alex Ghenea||3:38|
- "Baby Loves": It was used as an interlude in Grande's second world tour, Dangerous Woman Tour.
- "Not Afraid Of Love"
- "Got Her Own"
- "I've Heard It Both Ways"
- "It Ain't Right"
- Drake's 'Views' Is Nielsen Music's Top Album of 2016 in the U.S.
- YouTube - October 28, 2014 Livechat
- Ariana being in the studio 09/01/14
- Twitter - September 1, 2014
- Twitter - September 7, 2014
- Twitter - October 12, 2014
- Twitter - November 22, 2014
- Twitter - December 26, 2014
- Twitter - April 5, 2015
- Twitter - New song #1
- Tommy Brown's Instagram post #1
- Instagram - Moon pic May 23, 2015
- Twitter - DM Screenshot confirming name
- PopCrush - PopCrush Talks About "Moonlight"
- Twitter - Tweet favorited by Tommy Brown
- Capital FM - Ariana Grande Reveals All About Her Split From Big Sean
- Twitter - @ArianaTodayNet - Ariana's Snapchat story
- Twitter - Studio night
- Twitter - Jan 6, 2016
- Twitter - Song board
- MTV - Is Ariana Grande Changing the Name of her Album?
- Instagram - DW
- Instagram - Shirt 1/31/16
- Twitter - iHeartRadio Summit #1
- Twitter - iHeartRadio Summit #2
- Twitter - iHeartRadio Summit #3
- Twitter - iHeartRadio Summit #4
- Twitter - Dangerous Woman confirmed
- Twitter - Dangerous Woman second single
- Twitter - Ariana's tweet July 28
- Twitter - Ariana works on something special
- Twitter - Favorite song
- Twitter - Ariana's tweet 11/17
- Billboard - Charlie Puth Reveals He's Writing for Ariana Grande
- Twitter - ah of course “opera-ish shit on a pop shit” ... #voicenotesseries
- Australia Network News - Ariana Grande Confirms Tour
- Twitter - Ariana Grande on her top 5 from Dangerous Woman
- iTunes - Japanese Edition
- Target - Target Exclusive Edition
- Universal Music - Japan Special Price Edition
- CDJapan : Dangerous Woman Christmas Edition [Limited Release] Ariana Grande CD Album
- デンジャラス・ウーマン ～デラックス・エディション - アリアナ・グランデ (in Japanese)
|May 20, 2016 • 39:31 • Republic Records|
|Released||Bad Decisions • Be Alright • Dangerous Woman • Everyday • Focus • Greedy • I Don't Care • Into You • Jason's Song (Gave It Away) • Knew Better / Forever Boy • Leave Me Lonely • Let Me Love You • Moonlight • Side To Side • Sometimes • Step On Up • Thinking Bout You • Touch It|
|Unreleased||Baby Loves • Got Her Own • It Ain't Right • I've Heard It Both Ways • Knew Better Part Two • Leave Me Lonely (Reprise)|
|Ariana Grande • Future • Lil Wayne • Macy Gray • Nicki Minaj|
|Dangerous Woman Tour|