Dangerous Woman is Ariana Grande's third studio album. It was originally named Moonlight. It will be released on May 20, 2016. The album was recorded starting in August 2014 and finished in February 2016. The lead single, "Dangerous Woman", was released on March 11, 2016. Another song from the album, "Be Alright", is confirmed to be released March 18, 2016. However, it is unknown if it will be an official or a promotional single.
Early recording as Moonlight
In a livestream in October 2014, Ariana confirmed that work had begun on her third studio album, which will be the follow up to her 2014 album My Everything. In the livestream, she said that she wanted to release it in late summer or early fall, following in suit to her previous albums. She also said that she had played some new material for her grandmother earlier that day. Ariana continued to record through the rest of the year and into early 2015.  In February 2015, Ariana began the Honeymoon Tour. She would find time in between tour dates to record the album. In April, Ariana heavily worked with her friends and songwriters Tommy Brown and Victoria Monet. On the 8th Ariana tweeted that she had made "really cool song". Ariana tweeted about the song a few days later and said it was very lovely and special. Tommy posted about the song on Instagram and said he wished he could tell fans the name of the song. Ariana soon began hinting at the title by posting photos of crescent moons online. On May 29, 2015, Ariana stated that there would be a song off her album called "Moonlight". Ariana spoke about the album in June 2015, stating that the title track was inspired by "this boy" she had been dating. She said, "It’s about this very cute night we had together. I have a playlist of 12 songs already. I plan on writing a lot more as soon as I get home. It’s the most personal music I’ve ever written."
"Focus" was confirmed as the lead single in August 2015 under the name "Focus On Me" at the iHeartRadio Music Summit. It wasn't released until October 30, 2015 along with its music video. The song debuted at No. 7 in the United States but slid down the chart in the following weeks. "Focus" received mixed reviews from critics and generally underperformed. After the song died down, Ariana returned recording the album. On November 11, 2015, Ariana confirmed that there was only one collaboration on the album so far. Ariana was in the studio on November 17, 2015. On January 6, 2016, Ariana posted on Snapchat that she was recording in her studio. She also posted a picture of the recording booth that showed the corner of her song board. It confirmed three songs, "Be Alright", "Moonlight" and "Let Me Love You". On January 22, 2016, Ariana confirmed on Snapchat that she was done working on her new album.
Renaming and website launch
On January 11, 2016, Ariana removed "moonlight" from her Twitter bio which made fans suspicious. Ariana responded by saying "you'll see [why]" and then revealed she was debating to rename the album over a new song she had recorded. On January 14, Ariana appeared on Jimmy Kimmel and confirmed that she is was still deciding to change it. On January 21, 2016, Ariana posted a picture on Instagram that said "dw" hinted to fans at the possible new title. On January 17, 2016, Ariana tweeted possible new lyrics, "don't need permission, made my decision, to test my limits." On January 31, 2016, Ariana posted a photo on Instagram of her shirt covered up saying, "I can't tell you what this shirt says yet." On February 3, 2016 Ariana performed new music at the iHeartRadio Summit (although it's closed to the public and only a few pictures were released). Ariana was seen playing the guitar and using a vocoder, which are both new for her. The shirt Ariana wore (which was the shirt previously mentioned) could only be partially seen although fans concluded it said "Dangerous Woman" which they presumed could be the new title. On February 22, 2016, Ariana confirmed the name of the album to be "Dangerous Woman" through Snapchat and Twitter.
On February 24, Ariana launched a new website (dangerouswoman.com) to dedicate to album updates. The next day she revealed via the website that she would be performing "Dangerous Woman" and "Be Alright" on Saturday Night Live on March 12, 2016.
On February 29, Ariana held a live stream in which she confirmed that there would be 15 tracks on the standard edition of the album, with more songs on a bonus edition. In addition, she revealed that there would be 3 features.
On March 1, the title track, "Dangerous Woman" was confirmed to be the next single. Ariana later launched a countdown (ending on March 11) for the album pre-order as well as the release of the single "Dangerous Woman" . On March 10, Ariana revealed the album artwork.
Unknown song snippets
- On May 26, 2015, Ariana posted a violin snippet of a possible song. Some fans speculate it is "Ridiculous" intended for her sophomore album. Her caption suggests the title of the song.
- On October 27, 2015, Ariana shared a snippet of an untitled song on Snapchat.
- On January 10, 2016, Victoria Monet shared a snippet on Snapchat of an unknown song that will be on the album. It features an unknown male voice.
- On February 1, 2016, Ariana shared a snippet of a new song (fans call it "Hard To Breathe").
- On February 21, 2016, Ariana shared three snippets of a new song, "I Don't Care".
Other important dates
- On June 29, 2015 Ariana tweeted that she worked on something special for her fans that night.
- On July 28, 2015, Ariana tweeted that she was working on something exciting for her fans.
- On November 25, 2015, Charlie Puth revealed that he was writing songs for Ariana.
- On February 4, 2016, Ariana did a photo-shoot but couldn't tell fans why. It could possibly be for Dangerous Woman.
- On Feburary 25, 2016, Ariana announced she would be performing "Dangerous Woman" and "Be Alright" on Saturday Night Live on March 12, 2016.
- On March 3, 2016, Ariana started a countdown on dangerouswoman.com, it was set to end on March 11, 2016 at 00:00 (EST), at which point the single "Dangerous Woman" was released and the album became available for pre-order.
|"Moonlight"||Ariana Grande, Victoria Monet, Tommy Brown|
|"Dangerous Woman"||Johan Carlsson, Ross Golan||3:55|
|"Let Me Love You" (ft. Lil Wayne)||3:43|
|Japanese Edition Bonus Track|
|"Focus"||Grande, Savan Kotecha, Peter Svensson, Ilya Salmanzadeh||3:31|
- ↑ Youtube - October 28, 2014 Livechat
- ↑ Ariana being in the studio 09/01/14
- ↑ Ariana tweeting lyrics 9/7/14
- ↑ lyrics 9/1/14
- ↑ Twitter - October 12, 2014
- ↑ Twitter - November 22, 2014
- ↑ Twitter - December 26, 2014
- ↑ Twitter - April 5, 2015
- ↑ Twitter - New song #1
- ↑ Twitter - New song #2
- ↑ Twitter - New song #3
- ↑ Tommy Brown's Instagram post #1
- ↑ Instagram - Moon pic May 23, 2015
- ↑ DM Screenshot confirming name
- ↑ PopCrush Talks About "Moonlight"
- ↑ Tweet favorited by Tommy Brown
- ↑ Capital FM - Ariana Grande Reveals All About Her Split From Big Sean
- ↑ Youtube - Ariana Grande on The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Nick Grimshaw
- ↑ Twitter - Studio night
- ↑ Twitter - Jan 6, 2016
- ↑ Twitter - Song board
- ↑ MTV - Is Ariana Grande Changing the Name of her Album?
- ↑ Instagram - DW
- ↑ Twitter - New lyrics
- ↑ Instagram - Shirt 1/31/16
- ↑ Twitter - iHeartRadio Summit #1
- ↑ Twitter - iHeartRadio Summit #2
- ↑ Twitter - iHeartRadio Summit #3
- ↑ Twitter - iHeartRadio Summit #4
- ↑ Twitter - Dangerous Woman confirmed
- ↑ Twitter- Dangerous Woman second single
- ↑ Instagram - Violin song
- ↑ Twitter - New song snippet
- ↑ Youtube - New song from Victoria
- ↑ Instagram - New song snippet
- ↑ Twitter - Ariana works on something special
- ↑ Twitter - Ariana's tweet July 28
- ↑ Twitter - Republic Records meeting
- ↑ Twitter - Favorite song
- ↑ Twitter - Ariana's tweet 11/17
- ↑ Billboard - Charlie Puth Reveals He's Writing for Ariana Grande
- ↑ Twitter - Photoshoot time
- ↑ Twist Magazine - Ariana Grande Rocks a New Hairstyle for a Secret Project