The fragrance follows Grande's Cloud and Thank U, Next launched in 2018 and 2019, respectively. R.E.M was first teased on July 28, 2020, via her Instagram story with name, bottle, and packaging to be revealed "soon".
On August 5, 2020, Grande announced the fragrance via her Instagram stories. It is named after her song "R.E.M", from her fourth album Sweetener (2018). The packaging is inspired by her character in her "Break Free" music video, "in my dreams... I'm always the version of myself I was in break free tbh [sic]". She also stated that she "always wanted to spend more time as this character/in this world".
R.E.M. opens with a gentle scent of quince, fig, salted caramel, and marshmallow. Then, the heart notes are a calming pear and lavender blossom. Finally, the perfume closes with a rough drydown of tonka bean, white musk, and sandalwood.
- Grande has been wearing the perfume since she finalized it in March 2020.[source?]
- The box was designed by Cheyne Gallarde (@artbycheyne on Instagram). He also created promotional animations.
- The smallest bottle (1.0 oz) was sold out within minutes after release on Ulta Beauty.
- Perfume bottle (3.4 oz or 100 ml)
- Travel spray (0.33 oz or 10 ml)
- Neon desk light (gift at Ulta Beauty with a purchase of an Ariana fragrance $54 or over)
- ↑ Ariana Grande on Instagram: "REM fragrance 8.19 ulta.com @ultabeauty 🤍"
- ↑ Ariana Grande Today on Twitter: ".@ArianaGrande is teasing a new fragrance: “name, bottle, packaging to be revealed soon.....”"
- ↑ Ariana Grande Today on Twitter: "@ArianaGrande on the “Break Free” inspired packaging for her new fragrance R.E.M."
- ↑ Ariana Grande Today on Twitter: "The artist behind @ArianaGrande's R.E.M. fragrance packaging (@artbycheyne) is also creating animations and comics for her: 'Stay tuned!'"
- ↑ Ariana Grande Today on Twitter: "It is offered in 3 sizes, the smallest size sold out within minutes!"