|“||Fans can expect from my album a lot of great music. It's going to be like pages lifted from my diary. It's very honest and personal. Every song, every lyric, is very true to my life, so my fans will be able to hear a lot of what I was going through in the past year and a half while I was writing the album.||”|
– Ariana Grande on the album
Yours Truly (originally titled Daydreamin') is Ariana Grande's debut studio album. It was released through Republic Records on September 3, 2013. The album was recorded between August 2011 and June 2013.
Background[edit | edit source]
Early recording as Daydreamin'[edit | edit source]
Yours Truly is the result of three years of work. The project underwent significant conceptual and sonic changes throughout that time. Grande began working on the album while she was filming Victorious as Cat Valentine, and formally started to work on it with a record label after she was signed to Republic Records on August 10, 2011.
On September 10, 2011, Grande already had twenty songs prepared and was going through the process of narrowing it down to thirteen. The intended lead single for the album, a bubblegum pop song called "Put Your Hearts Up" was released on December 12, 2011. The single was aimed at young audiences, perhaps intending to cater to Grande's core audience, which at that time was almost entirely made up by kids who knew her from Victorious.
During an interview in June 2012, Grande described everything on the album as being "50s, 60s doo-wop-inspired" and revealed that two new singles were going to be released before the album, one of which was called "Do You Love Me" and featured SkyBlu.
Other songs that Grande had named (and later leaked) as being part of the album included "Honeymoon Avenue", "Voodoo Love", "Pink Champagne", "Boyfriend Material", "You're My Only Shawty", "Tattooed Heart", and "Daydreamin'".
In early 2013, Grande met up with her label and expressed dissatisfaction with the direction the album was taking. In several interviews during 2013, she admitted to saying that she completely disliked her debut single, "Put Your Hearts Up" and confessed she wanted to make the type of music she grew up listening to, which was, "urban pop, 90s music."
The album's "throwback" feel was then reworked as being reminiscent of urban pop from the late 1990s to early 2000s, as opposed to its original 1950s and 1960s doo-wop sound. Grande said in an interview with Total Girl Philippines magazine, "My album is going to be pop, but it's also old-school inspired and has a little bit of a 1950's feel to it." In another interview, Grande said, "My album is throwback Motown. It’s like modern Motown inspired pop and soul."  She also listed her inspirations as "Amy Winehouse, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys, Fergie, Katy Perry, Madonna…".
All of the old songs on Grande's album were scrapped, except for three which were reworked for the final cut: "Honeymoon Avenue", "Tattooed Heart" and "Daydreamin'".
Renaming[edit | edit source]
Although the album was originally called Daydreamin', Grande had revealed in an interview with Power 106 that it was renamed to Yours Truly after she decided that the album felt like a love letter she wanted to sign.
Singles[edit | edit source]
The second single, "Baby I", was released on July 22, 2013.
Promotional singles[edit | edit source]
Promotion[edit | edit source]
To promote her debut single "The Way" which made its premiere On Air with Ryan Seacrest on March 25, 2013, Grande visited various radio stations, including Y-100 Miami, 93.3 FM, Z100, KIIS-FM and 99-7 Now.
Grande performed "The Way" at several Top 40 radio concerts, including KIIS-FM's Wango Tango concert on May 11, 2013 in Los Angeles, 101.3 KDWB's Star Party concert on May 17, 2013 in Minneapolis, Kiss 108's Kiss Concert 2013 event in Boston, 103.3 AMP Radio's Birthday Bash concert on June 30, 2013 also in Boston and Mix 93.3's Red White & Boom concert on July 5, 2013 in Kansas City. Her debut televised performance was on May 29, 2013, where she performed "The Way" live with Mac Miller on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Her second televised performance of "The Way" aired on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon during the episode dated June 14, 2013.
On August 7, 2013, Grande revealed the official tracklist via iTunes, and she also made pre-orders for the album available.
Critical reception[edit | edit source]
Yours Truly has received positive reviews from critics, with much praise going to her throwback to 90s R&B music and her vocals, with critics comparing them to Mariah Carey.
Yours Truly was met with very positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 86, which indicates "universal acclaim", based on 5 reviews. Nick Cattuci of Entertainment Weekly gave the album an A– grade, describing it as "one of the most purely enjoyable albums of the year" and praising Grande's "lithe, Broadway-honed voice." Lucas Villa of Examiner awarded the record four out of five stars, writing, "[Grande's] big and theatrical voice flutters in all the right places on this sugary sweet album of love tunes." Gregory Hicks of The Michigan Daily gave the album a mixed review, saying "most tracks are of quality composition, lyrically and melodically, but beat usage becomes excessive at times."
The Huffington Post gave the album a positive review, calling it one of the year's best album debuts, stating that her album is in "near-perfect form on her debut, mainly thanks to her Mariah Carey-esque vocals and songs written by Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds." Shamiyah Kelley of the The Daily Reville gave the album a grade "A", stating that "These days, it’s difficult to find a singer that actually has a great voice, but when Grande sings, it takes me back to The Emancipation of Mimi from Mariah Carey’s glory days". She concluded her review by saying "there was a lot of anticipation for this album with high expectations, and Grande delivered." The Honesty Hour were mixed with the album, praising “Tattooed Heart,” “Piano,” and “Honeymoon Avenue” as the standout tracks of the album, but felt Grande needed to train more on her vocals. The site gave the album a 3.5 out of 5 stars, stating "as a whole, Ariana’s debut is very solid. It is cohesive, written with understandability, and is sonically-pleasing."
Tour[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On August 1, 2013, Grande revealed the official artwork for Yours Truly, which features her kneeling on a bed of roses in front of a pink background. Due to fan criticism, she quickly unveiled a new cover, which simply featured the singer standing beneath a spotlight in a black and white image.
- Grande tweeted the name of the album on July 19, 2013.
- Grande has writing credits for 5 out of the 12 songs on the standard edition of Yours Truly.
- The first song recorded was "Tattooed Heart".
- The album singles were remixed and put on Grande's first remix album, The Remix.
- This is Grande's only studio album without a title track.
- The album contains samples of many other songs
- "The Way", featuring Mac Miller, contains a sample of "A Little Bit Of Love" by Brenda Russell.
- Russell tweeted about the sample on August 16, 2013.
- "Right There" contains a sample of "Rain Dance" by Jeff Lorber Fusion.
- "Lovin' It" samples Mary J. Blige's "Real Love"
- "Popular Song" interpolates "Popular" from the Broadway musical, Wicked.
- On June 18, 2018, Grande revealed on Twitter her top 5 from Yours Truly, "Honeymoon Avenue", "Lovin' It", "Daydreamin'", "You'll Never Know" and "Right There".
- The outtake "You're My Only Shawty" was eventually given to Demi Lovato to record and include on her 2011 R&B-infused album Unbroken as "You're My Only Shorty".
- Grande's team had asked rapper Iggy Azalea to work on a feature for the album, but Azalea turned it down. The two later collaborated on "Problem", which was featured on Grande's second album 'My Everything'.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Photo shoot[edit | edit source]
Booklet[edit | edit source]
Track listing[edit | edit source]
|1.||"Honeymoon Avenue"||Antonio Dixon, Dennis "Aganee" Jenkins, Babyface, Khristopher Riddick-Tynes, Leon Thomas III, Maurice Wade, Roahn Hylton, Thomas Lee Brown, Travis Sayles||Babyface, Dixon, The Rascals||5:39|
|2.||"Baby I"||Babyface, Dixon, Patrick "J. Que" Smith||Babyface, Dixon||3:17|
|3.||"Right There" (featuring Big Sean)||Harmony Samuels, H. "Carmen Reece" Culver, J. "Lonny" Bereal, James "J-Doe" Smith, Al Sherrod Lambert, Ariana Grande, Sean Anderson, Jeff Lorber||H. Samuels, Jo Blaq||4:06|
|4.||"Tattooed Heart"||Babyface, Riddick-Tynes, Thomas III, Dixon, Squire, Grande, Sean Foreman||Babyface, Dixon, The Rascals, Squire, Nathaniel Motte||3:14|
|5.||"Lovin' It"||Babyface, Riddick-Tynes. Thomas III. Ricky "SlikkMuzik" Offord. Dixon. Mark Morales, Audio Two||Babyface, Dixon, The Rascals||3:03|
|6.||"Piano"||H. Samuels, Jahmaal Noel Fyffe, Parker Ighile, Anisa Moghaddam, Moses Ayo Samuels, Olaniyi Michael Akinkunmi, Grande||H. Samuels, Mo-Keyz, Mikey, Jo Blaq||3:54|
|7.||"Daydreamin'"||Squire, Brown, McCants||Squire, Brown||3:31|
|8.||"The Way" (featuring Mac Miller)||H. Samuels, Amber Streeter, Lambert, Jordin Sparks, Malcolm McCormick, Brenda Russell||H. Samuels, Sauce, Grande||3:47|
|9.||"You'll Never Know"||Riddick-Tynes, Thomas III, Babyface, Dixon||Babyface, Dixon, The Rascals||3:33|
|10.||"Almost Is Never Enough" (featuring Nathan Sykes)||Grande, H. Samuels, H. "Carmen Reece" Culver, Lambert, M. Samuels, Akinkunmi||H. Samuels, Mo-Keyz, Mikey, Jo Blaq, Reece, Talay Riley, Mark Asari||5:27|
|11.||"Popular Song" (Mika featuring Ariana Grande)||Mika, Priscilla Renea, Mathieu Jomphe, Stephen Schwartz||Greg Wells, Mika, Nick Littlemore, Jason Nevins||3:21|
|12.||"Better Left Unsaid"||H. Samuels, Courtney Harrell, Lambert, M. Samuels, Akinkunmi, Grande||H. Samuels, Mo-Keyz, Mikey, Jo Blaq, Sauce||3:31|
|iTunes Store (bonus track)|
|13.||"The Way" (featuring Mac Miller) (Spanglish Version)||H. Samuels, Streeter, Lambert, Sparks, McCormick, Russell||H. Samuels, Sauce, Grande, Edgar Cortazar, Mark Portmann||3:46|
|Latin America (bonus tracks)|
|14.||"The Way" (featuring J Balvin) (Spanglish Version)||H. Samuels, Streeter, Lambert, Sparks, McCormick, Russell||H. Samuels, Sauce, Grande, Edgar Cortazar, Mark Portmann||3:46|
|Japanese Edition (bonus tracks)|
|13.||"The Way" (featuring Mac Miller) (JdB Radio)||H. Samuels, Streeter, Lambert, Sparks, McCormick, Russell||H. Samuels, Sauce, Grande, JdB||4:24|
|14.||"Baby I" (Cosmic Dawn Radio Edit)||Edmonds, Dixon, Smith||Edmonds, Dixon, Cosmic Dawn||3:59|
|15.||"Right There" (featuring Big Sean) (7th Heaven Radio Edit)||H. Samuels, Culver, Bereal, Smith, Lambert, Grande, Anderson, Lorber||H. Samuels, Jo Blaq, 7th Heaven||4:03|
|Japanese Deluxe Edition (bonus DVD)|
|1.||"The Way" (featuring Mac Miller) (Music Video)||3:47|
|2.||"Baby I" (Music Video)||3:17|
References[edit | edit source]
- Elle - Life Is Grande: Ariana Grande On Her Debut Album And The Thrill Of Hearing Herself On The Radio
- Twitter - Ariana tweets freshly signed contract
- ClevverTV - Ariana Grande Talks Music at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards 2011 (via youtube)
- HuffPost - Ariana Grande Debuts New Single, ‘Put Your Hearts Up’
- ClevverTV - Ariana Grande Talks New Album Being "Right Out Of Her Diary" & Working With Her Crush! (via youtube)
- Ariana performing original 'Honeymoon Avenue' at San Diego, Feb 2012 (via youtube)
- Ariana performed 'Voodoo Love' live (via youtube)
- Pink Champagne lyric clarification by Matt and Ariana (via youtube / low quality)
- 'Boyfriend Material' leaked, Jan 2013 by Ariana (via youtube)
- Ariana and Iyaz perform 'You're My Only Shawty' at Ariana's 18th bday (via youtube)
- 'Tattooed Heart' leaked, Sep 2014 (via youtube)
- Ariana leaking 'Daydreamin' during her livechat (via youtube)
- Ariana Grande radio interview live with jojo (via youtube)
- Billboard - Ariana talks Breakout Hit 'The Way'
- Ariana on her album genre
- SheKnows - Ariana Grande on debut album: ‘It used to be pages from my diary’
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Twitter - Ariana confirming the name of the album
- Setlist.FM - Average setlist for 'The Listening Sessions'
- Twitter - Ariana reveals album artwork
- Twitter - BRENDA RUSSELL - Hi Ariana, You sampled my song A Little Bit of Love for your hit The Way.. Great job!
- Twitter - Ariana Grande on her top 5 from Yours Truly
- AllMusic - Unbroken tracklist includes 'You're My Only Shawty' as 'You're My Only Shorty'
|September 3, 2013 • 46:28 • Republic Records|
|Released||Almost Is Never Enough • Baby I • Better Left Unsaid • Daydreamin' • Honeymoon Avenue • Lovin' It • Piano • Popular Song • Right There • Tattooed Heart • The Way • You'll Never Know|
|Unreleased||Boyfriend Material • Do You Love Me • La Vie En Rose • Pink Champagne • Stick Around • Suitcase • Voodoo Love • You're My Only Shawty|
|Ariana Grande • Big Sean • Mac Miller • MIKA • Nathan Sykes|
|The Listening Sessions|